The Oxbow Gallery is a collective gallery owned and operated by 44 artist-members. The Oxbow showcases a variety of fine art techniques and mediums including painting, sculpture and photography and installation. Shows change every four weeks.
Our mission is to show serious art of local and regional artists, without overriding concern for commercial value and to provide a venue for lectures, films and discussion forums for the sharing of ideas and information relating to the visual arts.During a three year period each member or set of partners has a show in the large front gallery and a show in the back gallery. Members and partnered members are also included in two group shows every year. All proceeds from sales go to the artist/member.
The Oxbow Gallery periodically reviews applications for membership. Any artist wishing to be considered may send a letter of intent and a recent resume, including all contact information to the Gallery.
March 30th Review of Applications
The Oxbow Gallery is accepting applications for membership.
The Oxbow Gallery is a cooperative gallery of approximately 40 members. During a three year period each member has a show in the large front gallery and a show in the back gallery. Members will have the opportunity to exhibit in up to two group shows annually. All proceeds from sales go to the artist/member. Dues per year are $1,113 for full members and $567 non-sitting, shared memberships. A shared membership involves 2 members sharing the front and back room shows in any way that they see fit. If you are interested in a shared membership you may apply with a partner or apply individually requesting to be assigned a partner. Dues for sitting members are $579 annually. No sitting memberships are currently available.
Members are expected to participate in the running of the gallery by serving on a committee and engaging in that committee’s tasks and responsibilities. Members are encouraged to attend regular meetings and Group Shows. The Oxbow Gallery is open Thursday – Sunday from 12-5 pm.
Requirements for Application
- Contact Information (printed out): name, email, phone, address and preferred membership type: non-sitting, sitting, or shared.
- 5 images of your work on a flash drive or cd. JPEG images should be at 150 dpi and no dimension should exceed 1024 pixels or 10 inches. Label your files in the following manner: last name _first name_image1.jpg, each subsequent image being 2,3,4,5.
- Annotated Image Sheet (printed out). List your name, title, dimensions, media and the date of completion for each work, numbered to correlate with the labeled files.
- A printed resume and an artist’s statement. Please include text that pertains to your specific interest in being part of a cooperative gallery and any skills that might contribute to the running of The Oxbow Gallery.
- One or two pieces of actual work, identified on the back. Please, no wet paint.
- A check for the application fee of $25.00 made payable to Oxbow Gallery. Accepted artists will have this credited towards their membership fee.
Please deliver all materials (including the physical samples of your work) to The Oxbow Gallery on Saturday, March 30th from 12-5 pm and pick up work on Sunday, March 31st from 12-5 pm.
Joanne Holtje, 413-213-0054, firstname.lastname@example.org
273 Pleasant Street
Northampton, MA, 01060
The Gallery will contact you prior to the next review with information regarding the necessary examples of the work and drop-off dates and times, etc.
Hours & Contact:
The Gallery hours are Thursday – Sunday from 12-5 pm, and from 5-8 on Arts Night Out.
General Inquiries for Oxbow Gallery:
273 Pleasant Street, Northampton, MA 01060
413-586-6300 during hours of operation: Thurs-Sun 12-5 PM
“Arts Night Out” on the second Friday of each month 12-8 PM
From I-91 get off at exit 18. Take a left at the bottom of the exit ramp and go a mile. On the left you will see a brick building with a yellow sign saying “Ye Olde Watering Hole”. The Oxbow Gallery is the next storefront on the left.
From Rt 9 (Main St) in Northampton head south on Pleasant St one half mile. The Oxbow will be on your right.